Sunday, April 21, 2013

Raw Drama

Lately there has been some drama in the raw food lifestyle community on Youtube.  This should not come as a surprise.  There is something about the medium combined with human nature that seems to have led to this outcome in other Youtube communities, not just in raw food.  I don't think it's necessary to be judgmental, but would like to comment about the different ways people might respond to this.

There have been some commendable efforts by a few within the global raw food community to speak out against the drama, and others have remained silent.  It seems that many of the raw foodists on Youtube have answered not by addressing the negativity directly, but by instead posting positive, uplifting videos. They have chosen to express themselves according to their own principles, which I find admirable.

Different raw foodists have different philosophies about the best way to be raw, and I think that's good.  Each of us needs to find our own personal best way to be, and when different people put their own lifestyle and opinion on Youtube, it gives the rest of us some ideas to consider.  I do not think it's appropriate to put anyone down for their lifestyle choices.  Instead, I feel it is appropriate to make our own lifestyle choices while engaging in thoughtful and respectful two way discussion about these choices.  A two way discussion involves listening as well as talking.

At this time I am not personally a follower of any one raw food school of thought, but I do incorporate ideas from different people into something that works for me and my family.  For example, since I am only moderately active on my most active days, I find that I feel best if I eat a lot more green leafy vegetables than fruit.  With the right balance of fruit and greens, I feel alert, energetic and satiated.  With too much fruit and not enough greens, my teeth become sensitive and I start having unhealthy cravings.  If I eat too many nuts and seeds, I start feeling heavy and put on weight.  The best diet for me at this time seems to be mostly vegetables with a smaller amount of fruit, a much smaller amount of nuts, and foods like dates and cacao only occasionally.  At this time about 20% or less of my diet is cooked, with a very small amount of occasional foods that are not considered a part of the diet.  As the weather here gets hotter, we'll probably start eating closer to 100% raw.  Of course, any changes in lifestyle would lead to a need for changes in diet.  My opinion is based solely on how my body responds, nothing more, nothing less.  It is especially not based on some sort of ideology or paranoia.

Some might find them interesting, but I'm not going to link to any videos about the drama.  I would prefer to remain focused on videos about raw food.

It's my sincere hope that newcomers to the raw food lifestyle don't see only the people in the minority who want to bait their fellow raw foodists and as a result become turned off to the lifestyle on the whole.  The raw food lifestyle doesn't have to include drama, it's not necessary to be paranoid, put others down or join a cult.  In my view, it's about eating a fresh, plant based diet in it's most natural and most nutritious form, and living in a way that is optimal for the individual.  Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Have you tried raw vegan food?